Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Choices

Well, well, well. We had a visit today with another fertility doctor (Dr. Jacobs). This one hails from the same organization as the very first one we saw, but he's in another office. I found his name on the internet (it kept coming up first in all my searches), then later found it a friend of mine and my sister saw him. Both talk very highly of him, so we decided to go and listen to him.

He started by talking about our first IVF experience. He did say that he wasn't in total agreement with the way things were done (mainly, the change in medication after we started the heavy drugs). He did say that he was impressed with the number of eggs that were retrieved (15) and the number that fertilized (6), enough so that it puzzles him how things went so wrong the second time (with the other doctor). He didn't come right out and say it, but he seemed to disagree with the second doctor cancelling our whole cycle (and giving no explanation afterwards for it--I was basically sent along with a "See ya!" after the whole thing).

He went on to explain that there are 3 protocols for IVF. We've basically done the first 2. He explained the third one, and it was interesting: it involves the same routine, but leaves out the Lupron part of it (Lupron was the first shot I was giving myself both times...it suppresses the ovaries and is usually given to women in menopause, but it plays a rather big part in IVF as well). The thing I wasn't too sure about is when he said he would start me off at 450 of the FSH drug. If you remember, Dr. Miller wants to start me at 750. That's a HUGE difference with this drug. Dr. Jacobs said that anything over 600 is wasted and just peed out later. He said that my response to the 450 was still good (the first time) and that he'd be inclined to start with that amount.

The thing is, now we need to do some research and figure out which is the best way to go--with a higher amount or a lower amount. It's not just as easy as that though. Both doctors want to take a much different approach, and we need to figure out which is the better approach.

While looking through the records sent by the second doctor, he noticed that they were also sent to Dr. Miller (the guy we saw on Monday). We hadn't told him initially that we spoke to him, but when he brought up Dr. Miller, we told him what we were told. He then explained about the peeing out of the extra and how it hasn't been shown to work. The surprising thing is that he then went on to criticize Dr. Miller, with whom he had once worked many years ago. He didn't say he was a bad doctor, but he emphasized that Dr. Miller's main focus in his career is surgery, not IVF. He said he's a brilliant surgeon and he'd send anyone to him who had problems with endometriosis, etc. But he didn't have anything positive to say about his approach to IVF. I was shocked that he would take this stance. I don't think he really would have done it if Dr. Miller really was a GREAT doctor, like if he (J) was trying to sway us to stick with him. But it seemed highly unprofessional (in contrast to Miller's marked professionalism on Monday).

I guess the main thing that the 2 had in common was that they both thought we might have another shot at this. I really thought it was the end (given what the second doctor said). That's not to say I have a great deal of confidence that it's going to work a third time. I don't, and I'm under no illusions that I have any hope of really getting pregnant (I'm not just being negative but realistic!!). BUT...there is that little tiny piece of hope that will keep us going forward. In some ways, I wish they'd both said, "Sorry, this is the end of the line as far as your eggs go. Your only hope at this point is egg donation." Boom. Done. I have my closure and we go onto other things.

But now there's hope. And more than hope, CHOICES. Because my next period will arrive at the start of our vacation (end of July...we're going to French Canada), we won't be able to start anything until the end of August, so we have some time. Likely, we'll be visiting at least one more doctor. Not sure who just yet, but probably the one that Paul's cousin went to visit. She had success with him, so he might be worth checking into.

That's the latest! I'm off tomorrow to Waynee World for the annual family weekend. It'll be crowded!! There are 5 Baumanns, 5 Veldhuizens, 4 Halls, 2 Iacopettis, 2 Nitches, my mom, and Jack (he who owns the house on the lake). ABSOLUTE CRAZINESS!! Can't wait!! ☺

0 comments: