Saturday, August 2, 2008

Quebec 3

Well, last night's performance of Les Miz, while brilliantly acted, was not what I expected. I have the original French soundtrack (had it for 20+ years) that I've listened to quite often. I've played it for my students, and there are songs that I know almost by heart. The words to the majority of the songs last night were completely different. It was disappointing, even moreso because the little gift shop didn't have the newer French version. I need to go home and compare song titles, but one, for instance, was the song La journée est finie (the end of the day), one of the songs from the beginning of the play. In last night's version, it was called Quand le jour est passé (when the day has passed). WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??! They had none of the grandiose sets from before. Even when I saw the production in Tokyo, they had all that in there. I think there were a few songs last night that I didn't even recognize, though Paul swears they were there before.

Despite all my bitching about it, it was very well done. It was a London company and it had a lot more graphics than there were before (remember, it's been 10 years since I last saw it!). All in all, it was a great production!

Afterwards, we walked around and around looking for a bar. They all seem to close early on Friday nights, but we did find one and had a few cocktails. This morning, we walked around a bit more before splitting off this afternoon--Paul went on a historical river cruise (I love boats, but this wasn't really my thing), and I walked and walked and walked. The weather here has been weird--very cool, in the low 70's, and rainy. Even the native Quebeckers are puzzled by it. It's also been VERY VERY VERY humid (100% each day), making it feel warmer than it actually is. My skin is usually sticky and clammy, but I might be chilled at the same time. It's annoying, really. I feel cold so I cover up at night, but I get too hot. There's no good in-between.

We're headed out at 4am tomorrow (theoretically) to go to Niagara Falls. We'll have a look, then drive a bit to find a hotel. I think we'll be coming back through Canada into Michigan--we looked about going through NY, PA, etc. but time-wise, it would take way too long that way. We want the quickest route possible, at this point.

I hope my ramblings haven't been too boring. Sometimes I read blogs or emails from people and I'm bored to tears. That's probably happened to a few who've read any of this, but I think I'm doing this more for me anyway, so feel free to ignore. ☺ I'm going to go grab my book and sit out on the balcony and read.

By the way, if anyone has a working stove/oven to get rid of, let me know. My sister's broke and they need something to tide them over for a little while. ☺

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm good! Rob swapped the ignition switch with that of the broiler. Consider it a fix. Thanks for the shout out, though.