Saturday, October 29, 2011

I think I need to update...

Well, I posted a link to my blog on Kelly's Korner, who did a posting about mom's with only children. The traffic on my blog has increased from this, so I'm doing as others have done---giving a quick update about our little family.

My husband and I have one child, Jackson. He's our only child and, as much as I'd love to have more, I just don't think that's going to happen. Jackson was the result of 4 attempts at IVF (that translates to 9 implanted embryos before his!). He was born in December 2009. A year ago (when Jackson was just 9 months old), I got pregnant "the old fashioned way," but had a miscarriage at about 9 weeks. We tried like rabbits to get pregnant again on our own for months after that, but had no success. This past summer, we went through the process of implanting our one remaining frozen embryo, but that was also not successful.

In August, after our failed attempt, we decided enough was enough. My husband did not want to try IVF again, and while I'll always have hope that something will happen naturally, I'm not really counting on that.

And so we are 3.

Now come the challenges of raising an only child. I'm trying to find all the positives I can in just having one, but that initial disappointment is still in me, the one that says, "You're JUST having one." I always dreamed of more (at least one more), so it's been quite an adjustment. I worry most about giving Jackson everything he needs (emotionally as well as socially, etc). Do I worry too much? Probably, but he's my everything and I want him to grow up to be a good person. I mean, who doesn't want that for their child?

And so here we go. Please comment if you have an only child, and if you have a blog, and if you know everything there is to know about what it takes to raise a well-adjusted child. HAHA...ok, that third part isn't necessary, but I will follow along on the journey of others' who might know a thing or two about this stuff.

Enjoy!

1 comments:

C said...

I came over after you commented on my blog - I would love to chat more as we are raising an only:)
At this point, we are all happy so I feel like that's a pretty great place to be in:). We have lots of friends and see them many times a week so I don't feel like my three year old is missing out socially.
For now life with the three of us is just great:)