Friday, February 14, 2014

One year of statuses.

It seems these days that I keep track better on Facebook of what happens in the IacoHouse than I do on here, so I decided to go back one year and make a copy of my Jackson-related statuses, then compile them all here.  Starting with the oldest first, here's what I came up with:

February 13, 2013
There are few sounds more fun than hearing Jackson and his favorite Grandma downstairs laughing and yelling while playing a game. Oh my word, that boy loves her so much! Any why wouldn't he love someone who comes every week and plays any game he wants? She spoils him with TIME. Pretty terrific, she is.
 
February 20, 2013 
I think the best thing I've found as a parent is that no matter how bad my day is or how frustrated I am with Jackson, he doesn't hold it against me. No bitterness, no grudges. He's just his goofy little 37.5 inch self who still has the awesome power to make me laugh when I'm at my worst. Bless his sweet little heart.
 
April 2, 2013 
Jackson just sat down with me at my computer and was asking about the letters on the keys. I pointed out each letter, A-Z, and he followed along with his little fingers. He looked at me at the end and asked, with his little hands held out to either side of him, "Where's 'Now I know my ABCs, next time won't you sing with me?'" I could only kiss him through my laughter.
 
May 12, 2013 
My Mother's Day included breakfast at Colonial, mowing the lawn, mowing the neighbor's back yard, napping (Jackson had a 3 hour nap! BONUS!), then sushi for dinner. Spent the whole day with both of my boys and couldn't have asked for a better day!
 
July 29, 2013 
Conversation tonight in Jackson's room:
Jackson: This is my book tonight! [holding up The Little Mermaid]
Mommy (looking at Daddy and laughing): He does love his princesses!
Daddy: That's important; after all, Daddy married one.
-----SCORE ONE FOR DADDY.-----
 
August 6, 2013 
Jackson and I have this game where I go out to the garden and pick a few cherry tomatoes, come in and wash them, and place them on the table or counter, where he's to NOT touch them, then I walk away for a few minutes. Of course, I come back and he's giggling his fool head off, having eaten all of my cherry tomatoes, and I pretend to be all mad about it. And THIS is the easy part of parenthood.
 
August 13, 2013 
That moment where Jackson stumbles into my office, still groggy from sleep, climbs up on my lap, and snuggles in so I can bury my nose in his sweaty neck? Yeah, that moment. I could live that a thousand and one times and never tire of it.
 
August 27, 2013 
Jackson finished his first official day of preschool with no tears and no problems! We asked him about 2 million questions at lunch, but he wasn't giving up the goods. He was more interested in playing with the crayons the waitress gave him than to talk to either of his parents. *sigh*
 
September 2, 2013 
What a great anniversary we had! Spent a quiet morning, then went to see The Butler this afternoon, followed by one of our favorite places for a sushi dinner. I'm thankful every single day for the man I married! He's a wonderful husband and father, and my best friend. If anyone had told me just ten years ago that I would one day marry Paul Iacopetti, I'd have thought them crazy. And here we are today! He's definitely my lobster!

p.s. Thanks, Mom, for babysitting.
 
October 4, 2013 
I was hit late morning with a nasty headache and stomachache that lasted most of the day. My usually-sassy almost-4 year old ended up being so good today--he listened, asked me how I was, rubbed my head, and was generous with his kisses. He ate his dinner without me having to nag him, and went to bed without a single complaint. It's days like this that make me PROUD to be his mom!
 
October 7, 2013
I love my neighbors! We have an elderly couple living next door. Most mornings, Jackson runs over there to take their newspapers from the bottom of their driveway to their front patio. Most days he doesn't see them, but when he does, he's showered with cookies and treats. Mrs. Wood just came over to remind me to put his shoes on since it's colder out now. They're the sweetest people and I love that he helps them out in this little way!
 
October 8, 2013 
Guess who gets to be room mother today at school? OH YEAH, BABY! ME!!!! Two and a half hours with a bunch of 3 year olds. I'm going to need some serious caffeine this morning.
 
November 15, 2013
Sitting in a small neighborhood coffeehouse waiting for a hitch to be put on my car. Drinking hot chocolate while listening to jazz music. Nice way to spend a Friday morning. — feeling content.
 
December 1, 2013 
Had a good night's sleep, and now it's time to get ready to celebrate my sweet boy's birthday today! We'll have 25 or so people here, and lots of good food and drink. As it happens every year, I won't make it through singing HB to him because I always tear up. As my friend Jenny so eloquently put it last night, "He will someday understand that sometimes we cry because our hearts are just too small to hold that much joy."
 
December 1, 2013
Despite this being the world's most pathetic cake, Jackson LOVED the tractor tipping theme, and he played with those stinkin' tractors (while somewhat ignoring the huge pile of awesome gifts he received). It was a fun day (albeit exhausting), and after 2 days of no naps for anyone, tomorrow shall be declared a lazy day for all. Snuggling and movies are about all that will happen.
 
December 2, 2013 
If anyone needs me today, I'll be snuggled up on my couch with Jackson, fighting over blankets, eating leftover Portillo's, watching Disney movies, likely napping during all of them. Commence lazy day.
 
December 3, 2013 
This morning, I crept into Jackson's room (he was awake but still in bed), crawled into his bed, and quietly sang Happy Birthday. He asked me the same question he's been asking me for a week..."Am I four now?" And with a tear in my eye, I said, "Yes, my sweet boy, you are four now."
 
December 20, 2013 
Conversation after his non-nap:

Jackson: I had a good sleep!
Me: No, you didn't. You played, talked, jumped...you didn't sleep.
Jackson: And I licked something?
Me: You licked something??!
Jackson: No.
Me: Jackson, what did you lick?
Jackson: Nothing.
Me: Jackson. Tell me what you licked.

Jackson: My big boy bed.
Me: [laughing] Why did you lick your bed?
Jackson: I don't know. It tasted good.

OHMYGAWD, I love this child.
 
January 3, 2014 
I was taking Jackson's monthly photos tonight. Paul was standing behind me with a couple stuffed animals, making him laugh. I got this picture of him, and I don't think I've taken a truer photo of him. You can't help but laugh when you look at this! It was a rough day today (lots of tantrums), but I'm constantly reminded how much I love my boys so, SO much.
 
January 8, 2014 
Ten years ago this month, a boy emailed me to ask me to go with him to see a musical in the city. This boy was a friend from WAY back on whom I'd previously had a MAD crush (a couple, actually, at different times). I said yes to the musical, and that "date" (though he wouldn't call it that, I always have) lasted 12 hours that day--eating, talking, enjoying each others company. It was the best non-date I'd ever had, and the start of a great friendship that now, 10 years later, includes a marriage and one awesome 4 year old kiddo. Thanks for asking me out, honey. I would never have guessed that, on that non-date, we'd end up where we are today.
 
January 10, 2014 
For rent: one very sassy 4 year old. Eats just about anything but will argue every step of the way. Want him to do the most menial task? You'll get a fight every time! Asking him a simple question will get you a string of toddler-laced obscenities. Don't all rush at once for this amazing offer! I'm setting up my calendar right now.
 
January 12, 2014 
3 top sayings at the Iaco House by those under 4 feet tall:
"I NOT HUNGWEE!"
"I NOT TIE-YODE!"
"I NOT JACKSON! I'M A DOG SCRAT THE SQUIRREL!"
 
January 18, 2014 
Had a long talk with Jackson last night about how sassy and just plain awful he's been lately, and today's already started off on a positive note. I'd like to think some of what I said got through to him, but more than likely, it's the prospect of seeing a movie later that's persuading him right now. I love this boy more than my own life, but DAMN, he's been a sassy beast lately.
 
January 24, 2014 
How nice to go out and run errands this morning while Jackson stayed with the neighbors next door. They're a wonderful couple and love him so much! I have to be careful not to take advantage of them too much.
 
January 27, 2014 
One of Jackson's chores here at the IacoHouse is to put away clean silverware after the dishwasher runs (I'm usually doing dishes or cleaning up while he's doing this, so I'm not always watching him). Apparently, he's been "seasoning" them before putting them in the drawer. Today, I caught him with 4 spoons and a fork in his mouth that he then attempted to put in the drawer. My apologies to anyone who's eaten a meal at my house lately.
 
February 5, 2014 
About a week ago, I made Jackson a lunch of celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins. Forgetting that this is normally called Ants on a Log, I named them Bugs on a Boat. Now they're a HUGE hit here. Today, I had no celery, so Jackson asked for a Bugs on the Boat sandwich. Just a heads up for anyone visiting and wondering why we eat bugs at the IacoHouse.
 
February 6, 2014 
NEWSFLASH: the boy child declared a couple nights ago that he shall no longer be known as Dog Scrat the Squirrel. He's now Jackson. I wasn't sure this was true, but it's been 2 days and sure enough, he's still Jackson. This is the end of an era. Carry on.
 
February 7, 2014 
Jackson: "Mom, wanna see me count to 110?"
Me: "Sure!"
Jackson: "101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110."
Me: "Buddy, what about the numbers up to 100?"
Jackson: [puzzled look]

I love this child.
 
February 8, 2014
Jackson likes to make up songs before going to bed. Most of what he sings is just a jumble of sounds, but lately he's been putting in sentences as well. Tonight, he was singing "a new song" and started it off something like, "Mom was cooking in the kitchen and he was making dinner." I corrected him and said, "No, buddy, Mom is a SHE. I'm a she." (he still gets pronouns mixed up) He then corrected me and said, "No, Mom, it's not you, just a regular mom." So I guess regular moms are HE and I'm a SHE. Lucky me.
 
February 14, 2014
Every time Paul uses Jackson as a pillow, Jackson yells out, "NO, I NOT SQUISHY! I GOT BONES!!" and I dissolve into a puddle of giggles. Love my boys!!

0 comments: