Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor

It's Labor Day, and that's no exaggeration around here. With the hiring of the new realtor, as well as the visit from her stager friend, we have a laundry list of shit to do to this house before it goes back on the market. Some of the stuff we can do ourselves, but the big stuff will be hired out. My job this weekend: paint the laundry room. ALL OF IT. Floor (concrete), walls, and ceiling. Thankfully, it's a small room with some big stuff in it (washer, dryer, hot water heater, furnace), so some areas can be left unpainted. I'm not a huge fan of painting, but I do like finishing the painting. ☺ We're still getting estimates for the big stuff: siding the mansard roof, painting the rest of the house, and replacing the carpet. I've managed to snag a few freebies--today, I went to Plainfield and picked up a kitchen cart that some woman was giving away. It's pretty nice! I'm still trying to find a few other items like a chandelier (maybe one we can paint because the one we have won't do), an outside light for the front, and a few other smaller items. I found a quilt (for the guest room) at a garage sale for five bucks. Can't beat that!

Anyway, that's the action around here. I can't imagine being in the middle of IVF treatments right now. We're both crazed with what needs to get done, and we're doing our fair share of arguing about things. Top that with a few nasty hormones and we probably wouldn't be celebrating 2 years tomorrow.

The anniversary...a whopping 2 years. Feels like 10. We vowed not to get each other gifts, but I found a Wii (yes, the store actually had them in stock!) and bought it. I was going to save it for his birthday in November, but I really want to use it, so I thought it would make a nice anniversary gift. When I mentioned getting him a gift, he was pretty pissed so we might have to go back to saving it. Or maybe the Anniversary Fairy will happen to leave a little something for the 2 of us? Yeah, that's it! She can flitter around during the night and *poof* we'll have a present waiting for us. A very nice Wii! Wii will see about that...

I'm so bummed that it's September. Summer is over (despite the 90 degree temps today). It's so sad to me. I get so excited in April and May, then it's like my internal balloon deflates to nothing in September and October. In Becky's world, Chicago has 2 seasons: summer, and winter. Summer starts in May and ends in September, and the rest is winter. There's always that hope for Indian Summer in October, but mostly it's all winter. It's nice if there's a small fall and tiny spring, but they never seem to last that long. I figure I'll be on the scooter until mid to late October. This is such a sad time for me.

Kate is due in 4 weeks!!!

If anyone is interested in Sox tickets, I have 2 for this Friday's game. Paul has something to do that night, so I'm trying to get rid of them. Email me if you're interested. Game starts at 7:10pm. Not sure what the weather will be like, but it's usually nice!

Enjoy the rest of the holiday! If you know anyone who does painting or siding, send 'em my way!!

0 comments: