Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A moment

We have painters!! John and his team of 2 other men (who look like serious Harley-riders) came by and are rolling rollers as I type. They're all such nice guys!! John is a client at the vet clinic where I work, so I'd met him before and was VERY happy to hear he has a painting business!

Kate (my sis) stopped by this morning to drop off some stuff to me, and while she was here, we had a good laugh at her jokes about the baby. She's due in just less than 3 weeks, and she and her husband get a HUGE kick out of shocking people who ask about the wee one. Rob will say things like, "It's not mine!" or whatever, and the look on the faces is priceless. We had a little laugh this morning with a couple of the guys!

After she left, one of them was saying how cool it is that she's a surrogate. I had to totally agree. I don't say it often enough, but I want to take a moment to say how immensely proud I am of her and what she's doing. It's really an amazing thing, to carry a child for someone else...or it must be, as I really can't imagine what it's like. She's rather large now (in the stomach area!) and feeling uncomfortable at times. She can't bend over and when she sits, the stomach takes over everything. Thankfully, she enjoys being pregnant (from what I can tell) so she's in the right "business"! But really, I'm so proud of her. Not many people could do what she's doing. I, for one, know that it's not (just) for the money, but there's something else that is in a dimension that I can't begin to understand.

A good friend of mine had a situation where a family member "offered" to donate eggs to her. She made the random offer, likely thinking she'd never be taken up on it, and when she was, she gave more thought to it and said no. I don't think this is uncommon....the process for egg donation is similar to IVF--shots, pills, patches, you name it. It's lengthy and emotionally costly. People throw the offer out there like it's nothing, but when it comes down to it, most women would probably rather avoid it.

Kate has offered us her eggs, and that offer came with the knowledge of what would be involved to get them. I'd give anything to take her up on it, but Paul won't hear of it. Despite that, I know she'd do it if we asked her, and that's HUGE. I know her offer isn't just a random one, and for that I'm thankful.

So, I guess I just want to say that I have a really cool sister. She's not perfect and she'll admit that, but she's still pretty damn cool. And I'm really, really proud of her.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not so bad yourself! Thanks for being so nice. Even nice enough not mention my burning pee.