Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The results are in

I went to Dr. Morris's office this morning for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork (I'm on day 2 or 3 of my cycle, not sure which but it started Sunday). The nurse who did the ultrasound was so nice! She said that everything looked good. I had about 5 follicles on the right side and 3-4 or so on the left (it took her a while to find the left ovary). This doesn't mean a whole lot now, but with a few good drugs, these suckers will hopefully grow up to be productive members of IVF society.

This afternoon, I got a call (and message) about the blood test. The nurse said everything looked great! She actually used the word "phenominal" to describe the results. Indeed they were: my FSH (a hormone that tells whether or not I have follicles and if they're likely to do something--the lower the better) was 4.12, down from 6.1 a year ago. They say anything under 10 is optimal. This is REALLY cool since I know some women who find themselves in the 40's or higher and can't move out of them. There are ways to help improve this number if it's too high. They include major diet and lifestyle changes. Since my numbers are so good, I'll stick to my diet of pizza and junk food (sooo glad to know I don't have to give up my candy too soon!).

Of course, these great results raise the all-important question that Kate posed earlier: WHY THE F&%* AM I NOT PREGNANT??! It's a mystery to me. That's the most frustrating part of this.

Next week, I have a hysterosalpingogram (Wed), then I imagine we'll start the drugs in the next 3-4 weeks. I'm not sure how this protocol works exactly (schedule-wise).

Just informing the masses. Enjoy your week!

p.s. I found out tonight that my Wii fitness age is a whopping 65. Makes turning 40 seem almost tolerable. *ACK*

0 comments: