Thursday, October 9, 2008

Stoo. Pid.

Oh boy, I've gone and done it now. Today at work, a woman and her daughter came in with a big box. Inside was a tiny little creature, obviously a newborn something. The daughter found it on a sidewalk and asked if there was anything we could do to save it. I told her I couldn't guarantee it, but we'd try. Lisa the vet looked at it but didn't know what it was. We put it in an incubator and left him until a few hours later. The little guy was so tiny, eyes closed, only a day old (if that), less than an inch long. Looked like, perhaps, a mouse. I pleaded with Lisa to do something to help him. She did some research and it was deemed that not much could be done. We tried feeding him but he was having a hard time. After some time, I told her to humanely euthanize him. It was the only thing to do.

If there's one thing I've learned from this experience, it's that Lisa is an even bigger mush than I am.

The little guy tried suckling her finger. He seemed perkier after a bit of sugar water. Lisa said there was no way she could take him home--her husband would kill her.

I'm now the proud owner of a newborn rodent of some sort. I've named him Sharpé. Right now, he's curled up in a sock on a heating pad, sleeping peacefully.

I don't know if he'll survive the night, and if he does, if he'll survive the weekend. I do know that I have to try. And if he survives all of this? Well, we'll just add Sharpé to the growing list of animals that will join us in the new house: Bailey, Daisy (who's been living with Paul's mom since March with the house on the market, and I miss terribly!), and Salsa (who's driving Kate and Rob crazy!).

Keep your fingers crossed!!

**UPDATE: Sadly, Sharpé has died. The poor little bugger really didn't have a good chance at surviving. I feel better knowing he was being take care of when he died, instead of just laying on a sidewalk in the cold, possibly becoming a treat for some hungry bird...**

0 comments: