Sunday, March 8, 2009

Stem cells

Allow me a few moments to stand high upon my blogging soapbox to talk about an issue that has hit close to home. This evening, I read an article on cnn.com about the president's reversal of a limits set on embryonic stem cell research. There's some guy who's saying this is a distraction from the real issues, namely the economy.

This reversal was expected. President Obama (and it gives me such great pleasure to type those 2 words together...but that's another box for another time) has talked for quite some time about doing this--allowing science to do research using discarded embryos from fertility clinics that would otherwise be distroyed.

What most people may not know is that a year ago, Paul and I donated an embryo to science for research. We had many reasons for doing this, including our doubt over the quality of the embryo (this was after our first attempt, when we had few good embryos and this one just happened to make it beyond the 5 day mark, but hadn't looked good before that time), as well as our intention to change doctors after that first one.

Regardless of our reasons, this was a subject in which we both believe very strongly. Paul is Catholic and I was raised in similar religious surroundings, and we both feel that life begins at conception. This wasn't a decision that was made lightly, however he and I both have people in our lives who would greatly benefit from a cure of some sort: diabetes, cancer, paralysis, to name a few.

There are areas in our marriage where we do not agree, and one in particular where we are both so diametrically opposed that it could threaten us if we let it. Stem cell research is one where we are (almost surprisingly!) in total and complete agreement. Going through the IVF process, we have seen what can happen that most people can't: a women goes through retrieval, has multiple embryos created, and must freeze what might be left over. What happens if there are 10's of these for one woman, or thousands for hundreds of women? Do these just remain frozen in time forever? Do we really want or need more Octomom's running around in the world?

That's where research comes in. It's almost as if we (as the parents of the embryo) have to let the reality of what we're doing slip away for a moment to allow us to donate the embryo. I know what I did and I later let the reality of it hit me like a ton of bricks, however I'd do it all over again if in the same position. I feel good about the possibility of my contribution possibly saving thousands of lives one day.

You can agree or disagree. We don't feel guilty for our decision. I'm glad President Obama made this reversal today and I can't wait for the day a cure is found for the cancer inside his sister, or the diabetes that lives inside my brother-in-law or half of Paul's family, or the paralysis that has stricken Rob's cousin. When it does, and when all these naysayers are finally silenced because their families or their children were also saved from some terrible fate, I'll hold my head up high knowing I somehow contributed to that.

0 comments: