Friday, August 17, 2012

Failed!

HE FAILED!  Jackson "failed" his speech evaluation last week, which means that he'll be starting speech therapy in the next week or two.  And I, his mom, couldn't be happier!  I've wanted this for so long, and while I'm happy, I'm a little bummed that he'll only have 3 months of it before he ages out of the county program.  He'll then become part of the school system, and if things don't progress well in the next 3 months, he might be starting preschool a semester earlier than expected (starting this coming January instead of next fall).  Can't say I'm too excited about that, but I want what's best for him, and if that means starting early then so be it.  We'll see when the time comes.

The biggest surprise that came from his evaluation was his apparent need for developmental therapy as well.  One of the biggest issues is his reluctance to accept authority from an adult.  That means, basically, he throws tantrums when told to do something he doesn't want to do.  Sounds like every other 2.5 year old in the world, no?  This is seen as a big problem though, one that could be hindering his speech development.  And hell, if the county wants to send in someone that's going to help make this better, who am I to refuse?  I refuse not.

Next on the agenda?  Potty training.  I'm going to hold off as long as I can because frankly, I don't think he's ready for it yet, but what does a kid who's ready look like exactly?  There needs to be some introductions to it...in Jackson's case, slow ones.  He needs time to get used to the idea, and maybe with some improvement in his speech and development, we might make some good headway on this this fall.  I'm not going to push him, but we'll start the whole process maybe in October.  That's my thought anyway...for what it's worth.

I'm so sad that the summer is coming to an end.  Our weekends at Waynee World have ended for this year.  Cold weather and snow are just around the corner.  Aaaaaaaand now I'm depressed.  HA!  I'm enjoying the 70's we've had lately.  I love having the A/C off and the windows and doors open, letting all this fresh air in.  Our lawn is slowly coming back to life with the rains we've had lately.  Still not completely recovered, but definitely better than a month ago!

More on therapies later!!

0 comments: