Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Horizons

The realization of being infertile is slowly settling in to my brain and my being. It doesn't make me happy, but I'm not as sad as I was a week ago. I just have to accept it. I think about what's next. The adoption process is long, frustrating, and expensive, all huge turn-offs to me right now. I have a lot on the horizon the next few months...starting the process isn't really on the list at the moment. I'm sure it will be down the road.

On the horizon: weddings!! I have one this weekend in Texasn for my cousin Greg--my mom, sister, and I will be sharing a room at the resort where everything's taking place. THANKFULLY they have a bunch of nice pools. The weather is expected to be HOT HOT HOT so I don't need to hang out in the room too much. Hahahaha! My mom wants to journal everything that happens. I don't think they'll all be happy journal entries. The next wedding is in June--my cousin Kim's (coincidentally, the aforementioned Greg's sister). The reception will be at the Shedd Aquarium. YES! My mother finally got to plan a family wedding where she works! She started there too late for any of her children, but she pounced on the chance to plan Kim's.

Also in the plan: creating an online French course for Waubonsee CC. I think I've gotten in WAY over my head with this one. I know nothing about it and can probably learn what I need to, but doing this before the fall semester starts may be the real challenge. I get paid to create it, then paid to teach it. Nice.

I've also possibly added another job to my schedule: tutoring French. I currently tutor a guy in ESL (we've worked together for a year and a half--he's French but living with his wife and 2 kids and working here; they're all VERY nice!). The same company for whom I work asked me to tutor an American couple who's moving to Belgium in July. The job will be short-term, but could be really fun! I enjoy the one-on-one teaching. I still have to work out the hours, but it could be good money until they leave! Classes at WCC end May 19th so this will fill in those hours very nicely.

I'm still at the vet clinic. I have a love interest there--his name is Tuga and he's a 7 year old eclectus parrot. Tuga's in...shall we say, the prime of his life, and lookin' for love in all the wrong places. He's developed quite the crush on me and has subsequently taken to biting his owner when I'm around (the doctor of the clinic). I've warned Paul, who's already threatened that if things get any worse with Tuga, he'll have to come kick some serious feathered ass. Tuga's not intimidated though. He continues to happily hump my hand and regurgitate on me (as birds apparently do when in love). Here's a picture of him:

He's really quite beautiful--about 8 inches high (not including his long tail feathers, the one's Paul would kick if given the opportunity). He used to be SO MEAN when I started there, but I was determined to tame him a bit by paying attention to him and taking him out of his cage to sit nearby while I worked. Apparently, this worked a little too well. I can no longer have him sit near me because he does everything he can to perch himself on my hand. When I'm there and leave him in his cage, he screams and causes such a ruckus! It's amusing as hell though.

So that's the latest from here. I leave Thursday for Texas and expect to have a GREAT time! Even in the same room as my mom and Kate. As Kate says, she and I are a good time. It's quite true (though not everyone would think so). Hasta luego!

p.s. Still no takers on the house. It's been about a week since the last showing, but we have an open house scheduled for the 18th (thanks, Mom!). Once we move, we'll probably have a "new" old addition to the family--SALSA. Yes, you read that right, but I'll save that for another post...

0 comments: