Friday, August 15, 2008

Latest

We had our 4th doctor appt today (another new guy...4th since July). He started by asking us if we'd heard of egg donation, or if anyone had suggested it.



Um, yeah.



So he continued by asking us a bunch of general questions. He never really got around to what he might do, except to say he might do the flare protocol (which was basically what we had done the 2nd time, and we all know how well that worked). He did make a comment that it was possible that the result could end the same way as the try with Rinehart (the 2nd guy...cancellation...).



Without hesitation, I wrote a big fat NO in my notebook.



He then (oddly) mentioned that he'd been to some infertility conference in China, where they discussed a "new" protocol for poor responders. He got our attention--Paul leaned back in his chair and asked him to explain. The doc said that it hasn't been discussed yet, but it's a Chinese method. And that's all he said about it.



I'm not totally convinced...



So that was basically it. The only part of it that was worth anything was the end, where he wrote a "prescription" for some blood tests that I need to have done.

Time out: I forgot to mention that yesterday, I went to my PCP for a general exam (I've always gone to a general doc for the gyne stuff). I took along a couple of the sheets I'd gotten from a couple IVF docs that explain the tests I should have done before we start. My PCP came into the room, after having seen the papers, and proceeded to YELL AT ME about the required tests, saying she didn't know what half of them were and how was she supposed to order them and enter them into the computer if she didn't know what they were and blahblahblahblahblahblahblah.... She did the pap smear and one of the other tests for an STD (standard for IVF). She then YELLED AT ME again to reiterate her point about not being able to do the tests. Mind you, I've tried calling a gynecologist about where to go to have these tests done, and no one could tell me (granted, the girl I spoke to at the office was likely no more than 14 years old). It's been frustrating trying to get these done, moreso because we haven't chosen a doctor to go back to to ask about them.

SO...going back to today's doctor, as worthless as he and his ideas were, I did get the testing info I needed, so I can get those done. One of the tests, AMH, will give us an idea (not definitive) about my ovarian reserve, or how many little suckers are in there that might be worthwhile. It's not one to live by, mind you, but it's the closest they can get to getting an idea about this sort of thing, which normally is damn impossible to test.

I'm wondering now if knowing the results of that might halt this whole IVF process in its tracks. So do I really want to know?

Yup. I do.

The other good thing about today is that I rode my scooter from St. Charles to Downers Grove, from DG to Oak Brook, from OB to Bartlett, from Bartlett to Geneva, and from Geneva to home. It was an AWESOMLY AMAZING scooter day!!

Enjoy the weekend!!

0 comments: