Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We got 3

**WARNING: the following entry includes details of today's embryo transfer that might not sit comfortably with some people.**

This morning's transfer was pretty uneventful, all things considered. We arrived at 900 N. Michigan in good time (leaving at 5:15am will do that to you) and went up to the surgical center. I was forced to attend this event with a full bladder, so I had to skip my good morning pee and I was none too happy about it. I'll spare you the details of my pooping emergency, but suffice it to say, we had our first Christmas miracle this morning with that.

Dr. Morris came in and explained what was about to take place. My first question to him was how many embryos we still had. Sadly, we won't know the answer to that question for another week or so--there were anywhere from 5-9 that looked like they could get to freezing point, but that's all I really know, and that number isn't guaranteed. He wheeled me down to the "operating room" (I wasn't exactly having an operation, but for lack of a better term, I'm going with that). I asked him along the way if he thought this could really work. I took his laughter as a good sign!

In the room, they jacked up my legs in stirrups and the doctor stuck in a speculum. Now, for the women that read this, the kegel muscles come in quite handy at times when trying to resist the urge to pee. A speculum prevents those muscles from working properly, and when you have a full bladder, it's damn near impossible to feel like you're holding it all in. I was so totally focused on trying not to pee on the doctor that it really put a damper (ha ha) on the significance of the whole experience, that being my possible future children being implanted into my body for further cooking. I had to struggle and concentrate on not letting loose on the poor man, all the while squeezing the life out of Paul's hand. Thankfully, it was only a few minutes of deep discomfort before that speculum came out and my kegels could once again do their duty (ha ha...I'm on a roll!).

After removing everything, Dr. Morris inserted a catheter to empty my bladder. I could have done without this step in the process. Last year, the doctor just sent me to the bathroom to relieve myself. Not this time--he did it the professional way. Paul and I were both hugely impressed with the quantity they got--I swear it was a liter and a half! The bottle was huge and almost totally full! And I still didn't feel empty.

We waited the requisite 30 minutes before skipping out of there. We came home and I napped for a while and just took it easy. I've had a LOT of cramping today, more than I expected or remember having last time. I'm not really worried too much about it--I did mention to him before the procedure that I was having some, and he just said it was from the ovaries being stretched out. He didn't sound worried, though today, it's been a lot more pronounced. We'll wait and see how this progresses.

So that's it! All the gory details! Now...we wait............

0 comments: