Monday, October 19, 2009

Head up

Just got back from another ultrasound, and I'm not quite sure what to think. See, the baby's breech right now, his head high up and bum down (he's even face down, so we got no good pictures of him!). The doctor said there's a chance he may turn before his due date (and we'll have another ultrasound in 4 weeks to check), but if he doesn't, we'll be scheduling a c-section.

I'm torn--on one hand, I'd love to have him naturally so that my mom could see one of her grandchildren enter the world as nature intended. However, there's a certain appeal to being able to schedule the exact day he'll be born, which would likely be about a week before he's due (ideally, Dec 2 or 3 for his arrival would suit me just fine).

So...we wait. Whatever happens, I'll be happy with. I'm seriously 50/50 split on which way I'd like this to happen. I should take into consideration that, at 33 weeks, he's measuring 37 cm and the kid weighs a whopping 6 lbs 7 oz (from their calculations, which could always be a little off). That means, if he gains 1/2 lb each week until he's born, he'll be just over 10 lbs at birth. Do I really want to push 10 lbs of solid mass out my hoo-ha? Probably not.

Now, because we're hosting Thanksgiving, we're hoping the little man doesn't make an appearance 2 weeks earlier than expected. That would put him right around Thanksgiving, and if I'm going to be carved like a turkey myself, I probably wouldn't make it home to the 25 people expected at my house that day.

There you have it, folks. He's still moving like crazy and definitely developing a pattern to the movements (at certain times, etc). Good thing I get no sleep between 2:30am-6am, because I'll be doing some heavy entertaining during those hours, given his current swim schedule. That seems to be when he's at his busiest.

Only 2 more weeks of work (at the vet clinic), and about 4-5 more weeks of tutoring. It'll be strange not to work again, but I'm sure I'll resume tutoring and teaching at some point....provided I have someone to babysit. ☺ I have a feeling my mom and sister will be first in line for that job!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a little booger! I can't believe he's not head down. I thought he was head down weeks ago.

Anonymous said...

Hey Beckychan,
Our boy was breech about three weeks before he was born. A midwife gave me a technique to try at home to encourage the baby to turn and it worked. I can email you if you want how to do it. Also, everyone I know said the biggest cause of breech babies: slumping, especially on a couch. This is a big habit of mine, so I tried to sit in a strait back chair those last few weeks.
Of course, I was trying to avoid a C, but perhaps you'd prefer one, for the scheduling, etc.
Glad to hear he's healthy (and you are too).
lisa