Thursday, October 22, 2009

Uh oh.

Looks like someone may have caught something in da house. Ok, it's me and yes, it appears to be a flu. Or a cold, but yesterday at the doctor's office, they treated me like I had the plague. It started Tuesday with a scratchy throat that got progressively worse all afternoon (I was at work). By that night, I knew it was ugly. Nothing I tried was helping--cough drops, hot tea, gargling with salt water (most of which turned into gagging on salt water)...nothing.

I called my regular doctor's office yesterday to ask about the flu vaccine (to see if I could get it if I wasn't feeling well). Paul and I had planned to go get the H1N1 vaccine on Monday at the local high school, where it's being given. It's damned near impossible to find it anywhere else, but there are places that are offering it in Kane county. So I'm talking to a nurse and it's revealed that I don't feel well and I'm 7.5 months pregnant. She tells me to get into their office NOW. I wasn't sure why--frankly, it's just my throat that hurts, so I didn't think it was a big deal. I'd had no fever, almost no cough, very little runny nose, and didn't see what the big deal was. But I went in and after a quick check, I was sent on my way with a Tamiflu prescription.

I stopped at the pharmacy and filled it, then went home and started on my 5 day course. I hardly slept last night (after purposefully NOT napping yesterday, in the hopes of getting a beautiful night's sleep) and woke up this morning with more of a runny nose and my still-sore throat. I still have no cough, which I think is the main culprit in the H1N1 virus, so I'm banking on this just being a cold. It's not the worst cold I've ever had and frankly, I don't feel the most horrible I've ever felt, but I know with the little man baking inside, I need to be more cautious.

Looks like I'll be skipping out on work today, and I feel bad because I think there was a little baby-related something planned during our scheduled staff meeting this afternoon. I feel bad for missing it, but I don't want to risk infecting everyone else there. It's just not worth it.

So here I sit on this rainy, crappy day. Maybe I'll get something productive done here at home?? We'll see!

0 comments: